Friday, October 10, 2014

Dixie's Story

A couple of days ago, I went to look at some dacshund puppies. There were two in the litter- a black female and a little red male. I've wanted a red male ever since I baby sat for Loki (Beth and Jody's dog). They sent pictures and the female was just so beautiful I decided I had to meet in person to make a choice. She was as beautiful as her pictures, but he had the personality I was looking for but what a tough decision. I drove away crying thinking about separating the two. It was just one of those days, but I dried my tears by the time I got to work and since the hubster was going by after work-he would make the final decision and I would pick one up Saturday night. I called home at break time to see what he decided. He didn't care-they were both great pups. The lady offered a deal on the two of them, but Dwight has grown up with dogs outside. It wasn't fair to ask him to take on two. So I asked which one was his favorite-again he didn't really have one. Then he asked me-and if I really had to make a choice, the red male was what I always wanted. He told me that was good because he and "Oscar" were already getting settled in. WTH-I had no bed set up, no food, no toys-all taken care of he assured me-and they were. I dodged a bullet, because there was no way I could look at Dixie and drive away with her brother.When I got home, there was no dog in the dog bed but he was curled up in the crook of Dwight's arm. Dogs are serious business in our house. They are a huge commitment. The take a lot of time, patience, understanding, and love. We don't just want a healthy dog-we want the dog to be happy too. If you can't tell if your dog is happy, you shouldn't own one. Oscar has been incredible-he does his business outside. He knows the word "no". Loves the cats(the feeling is not mutual). He's extremely loving, but there's just something missing and he knows it. Dwight looked at me today and says he misses his sister. I told him she's still available. He said no she's not-we're getting her. I called the lady and I really couldn't tell if she was crying or not-it sounded like it. Her last two nights have been hell. Dixie has howled all night long. She hasn't really eaten the way she needs to. So now instead of one puppy-we have two. Two very happy puppies. Probably a very messy house, but a happy house.

No comments: