Friday, October 3, 2014

City girl mistake with a history lesson

I know there are a lot of things a city girl needs to learn about counrty life i.e. you can't pet a rooster and I thought I caught on pretty well until the other day.
I put a whole Chinkapin into my mouth-shell and all. I know you're supposed to shell nuts but since the pricky part was gone I figured the brown pea shaped nut was the part to eat. Wrong. You still have to take the shell off. What's a Chinkapin you ask?

This is what it looks like out in the wild. See the prickly part? Don't be surprised if you've never seen one before. Sometime back in the 1940's and 1950's the Ozarks (and the entire South east) were struck by a tree disease called "Chestnut Blight". It killed most of these trees and for a long,long time people and animals had to do without these delicious treats. Slowly, they are coming back and they taste better than chestnuts and they are about the size of a chestnut too.
Here's what I popped into my mouth:


not a whole hand full-just one.
So crack your nuts and don't eat the shells.

No comments: