Monday, October 6, 2014

A walk in the woods

The hubster had trouble finding a deer he had shot so I spent a lot of time walking in the woods this weekend. A lot. I did a little dance jig when I made it back to the four wheeler without encountering any dangerous animals (sorry the box turtle didn't rank as dangerous) but for the most part I enjoyed walking in the woods by myself. It's been a long time. The woods were I grew up were much smaller. You could blind fold me, drop me off, and I could find my way out before dinner time.I know where the plums, pears, and muscadines grew. I had favorite trees everywhere. The pines grew so big and thick in one spot, that the undergrowth was almost nonexistent. The bed of needles must have been 4 inches thick. We'd play house under the trees using the needles-making an outline of a house complete with bedrooms, doors, and walk ways. Sometimes we'd climb to see who would go the highest up (I don't remember Juliet ever winning but she'd always climb). Then, sometimes we'd climb a tree with vines. We'd grab a thick one, swing, and hope for the best. Sometimes, our journey to the ground was swift, but I don't remember any broken bones. Got my butt whooped for some torn pants, but no broken bones. The were dirt mounds great for riding bikes. With wonderful orange dirt. I'm sure that was a lot of fun when it came laundry time. I loved the woods and I love them now. The smell of the leaves is the same. Instead of someone calling me home, I hear eagles screaming-maybe it's the same thing.

No comments: