Sunday, October 13, 2013

Deer Season 2013 Day One

Yesterday was the very first day of Modern gun for doe in our zone which I believe is Zone 2. This means nothing to me except I know I need to read the book before I shoot. Apparently, different deer are legal at different times and the time also dictates what gun you can use. I'm at an extreme disadvantage because the hubster won't let me climb a stand with his bow-that AND  he has to pull it back for me. That and it's his bow. So this weekend, it's on. I can use my very own gun and shoot doe aka females and no horns. Walking to the stand, about a mile away, we scared one up. I didn't see it but it sounded like an elephant tearing through the brush. How in the devil it can make that much noise and not be seen is one of life's mysteries. I made it to my stand (the hubster even calls it MY stand) and climbed the 16 ft ladder to get inside. Where the bugs decided to feast on me for the next three hours. I swear the squirrels were making fun of me. The leaves and brush are still very full up here so it's hard to see anything moving through the brush. After staring at every twitching leaf for two hours, I finally saw a twitch of white tail and moved to put my gun into position. Unfortunately, the deer saw me at the same time-so deer 1 Kate 0.
But today, the sun doesn't come up for 2 more hours. I've had a good breakfast with lots of coffee. Packing the thermocell today (it's a device that repells bugs with no scent). Remembering to spray myself with the scent repellent.

No comments: