Saturday, October 19, 2013

A letter to the Bride (given to her the day of the Wedding)

My dearest Beth,




You know as I addressed this letter, it occurred to me that this will probably be the very last time I address something to Beth Schuller. That makes me smile and I remember when I walked down that aisle. I remember too my dad telling me all the way down the aisle “that it’s not too late. We can still make a run for it”. I won’t be walking you down the aisle, but I can still make the same offer. Seriously, if you change your mind-just scratch your nose and we’ll head for the hills. All the way up until the time that you say you do-we can still make a run for it. I’ve always loved you, but in the past few years I’ve come to love Jody too. He’s a very fine man that loves you as much as any man can love a woman. He deserves the very best. 100% of the very best-so if you’re not 100% sure-just scratch that nose. I want you to be as sure as the nose on your face that you want to do this.

Marriage isn’t always easy and it’s not always fun (no matter what there will always be whiskers in the sink) and good luck getting him to put the toilet seat down, but there’s no better feeling in the whole world than going to sleep with your best friend. Don’t take this love for granted. Not everyone finds someone that special. Just because you’re young doesn’t guarantee that there will be lots of tomorrows. Show him every day that you love him. Don’t just say the words-live them. Make him proud of you. He already thinks you’re the greatest thing since video games-let him keep thinking that and believing it.

Hold hands every chance you get. You can’t ever kiss him enough-and make each kiss count. Don’t ever go to bed angry (you won’t sleep anyway) and don’t argue about stupid things. It’s much more fun to cuddle and kiss than worry about whose turn it is to take out the garbage. Marriage is about being happy.

I wish you both all the happiness in the world. And my offer still stands-if you can’t promise him forever-just scratch. I’ll take it from there.

I love you and I know you will make the right decision because you’ve been taught well.

No comments: