Sunday, May 26, 2013

The starfish story

Somewhere in my childhood I read a story about a man that came across a small boy tossing starfish into the ocean one at a time. The man asked the boy what he was doing because there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the shore. The boy replied that he knew he couldn't save them all, but to the one that just landed back in the ocean-that didn't matter. He had made a difference. I've always loved that story and had a strange fascination with starfish. We found some on Sanibel Island and live sand dollars too.


 
I laughed when Dwight said to just throw them back into the ocean, but when we gave them to him-he very gently let them go. I had a proud mama/wife moment when Dwight and Lauren found some huge beautiful shells with living creatures in them that were set free too. We found lots of live sand dollars-something I love to collect, but I couldn't kill one-they were so much fun to find crawling and then set them free.

No comments: