Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Deleting the number

Two months ago today, Marty became an angel. My brain is having the hardest time processing this-I still think I can just drop by and see her or call. She'd answer the phone and her voice would crack when she said my name-just like it always did. I'd tell her about the kids and we'd talk about hummingbirds, what's blooming, and if strawberries were in season-I'd promise to bring her some. But I can't call anymore, heaven's just too far away.
I started to hit the delete button and memories just came flooding in...there was Marty and Mike making a champagne toast at the restaurant after Tracey's graduation, there were the two of them getting into the limo to be taken to their 50th anniversary party, there was Marty juggling grandkids in Mass and washing them in her kitchen sink. Marty at the hospital so excited to have another grandchild to hold and spoil. There was Marty teaching the granddaughters how to make her famous "Waldorf salad" and the green stuff. There was lunch at Bojangles. Holidays and Birthday parties.  Card games and Cross word puzzles. Book reviews and raunchy jokes shared over a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. You had to laugh when Marty laughed at her own jokes-she was just too funny. She was a lot of things to a lot of people. You know in spite of my misty eyes, I had to smile. There were just too many memories to make me smile. So I hit the delete button, but all those memories are stored.

No comments: