Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kate Versus Roscoe-the war rages on

Roscoe is the rooster that presides over our three hens. He crows when the sun comes up and every time he has sex-he is a very virile rooster. Dwight has warned me that feeding him bubble gum won't stop the constant crowing so Roscoe exists to crow all day and to protect the hens.
He takes protecting the hens very seriously.
Once the hens were eating bugs and seeds in the yard and were all around my feet.Roscoe kept coming closer and closer and I got the brilliant idea that he wanted to be petted. That particular Rooster never wants to be petted-he "spurred" me. That means his talons came out and he climbed my leg gouging as he went up. He's very quick or we would have had rooster and dumplings that night.
Now we have a game-I check for eggs each day, but I feed every body before I go into the hen house-actually, I run so he won't notice what I'm doing while he feeds his face.As soon as he sees me near the house, he comes running over ready to spurr me again. I'm trying to fix the nests. I'm adding fresh hay hoping to encourage the girls to lay some eggs, but I have to make sure Roscoe is busy-so far Ive fixed two or three nests and have about 8 to go.Chalupa is no help-Roscoe scares him silly. Now for a real diversion. Then, I may feed him peanut butter and jelly-extra peanut butter.

No comments: