Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Faith

Faith is believing in something that you can't see. Now, Faith is also a name that we've given to a horse because there is no medical reason that she should live through the winter. No reasonable person can see it happening. She's been neglected and starved for a long time. Lauren and Dusty took the horse so that its owner wouldn't shoot it-and before you pass judgement-more that one person has said that shooting the horse would be doing it a favor.
I made the mistake of walking out to the field to get a good look at her and without thinking, I just whistled. She came trotting up to me and instantly nuzzled my neck. I'm not special-she does that to everyone. It has never occured to her to be afraid of humans.
Then I made my second mistake. I looked into her eyes. Great big brown eyes, the ones that you could get lost in. I looked for a long time and there's not one ounce of hatred or meanness in those eyes. It's just not there.
I don't wanna know what she's been through or how she got to be in the state she's in. I just want to know that she's doing better today than she was yesterday and that there's a chance that I might get to see her running in the pasture at a full gallop someday. I know the future holds no guarantees-I just wanna hope. Horses are a lot like people and dogs-if they've been starved for a long time, you just can't offer them a buffet and expect them to gain weight. It takes time and strength and maybe a little bit of love. So we're giving her as much grain, hay, and love as we possibly can-but if you know any tricks, chants, prayers, spells, or old wives tales-we're willing to try them.
Yea, I said a prayer for this horse(and will continue to do so) and I don't think God got mad that I was praying for an animal. I think He just smiled and gave it some special consideration. Call it Faith.

1 comment:

Stinkydog said...

awww. I'm proud of you guys.