Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Freedom of Speech

There's a case in front of the Supreme Court concerning "Freedom of Speech". I'm all for Freedom of Speech-it upsets me that facebook has a button to report people. I mean, come on, we're just using words, but I can see the need for that button. Book banning/burning has always been sure to get my dander up. Now this case in front of the Supreme Court involves a church that was protesting at a funeral. These CHRISTIAN(?????) people held up signs at a soldier's funeral that read "God loves dead soldiers" , "Death to Soldiers" and a host of other things. WTF?What has happened to human decency? This wasn't a parade or political rally. This was at a funeral where a man was burying his son. This was his good bye that was made into a media circus.
Am I too old fashioned? I just don't believe a funeral is a place to hold a protest. The father is suing the church(this just blows my mind that it's a church and not just some peacenik group) for three to five million dollars. Sounds a little pricey, but what if it was your kid?
How much is the sanctity of your loved one's funeral worth?
To lose a soldier and put up with that crap-that man deserves much more. It's not about losing our freedom of speech-it's about doing what's right.
p.s. God does love dead soldiers and every single one of them out there busting their asses for US.

No comments: