Sunday, November 9, 2014

Successful Failure

This morning for the very first time EVER, I went to my deer stand in the dark by myself. This sounds pretty simple. But back up, woods in the dark terrify me. I hear bear and mountain lions and just about jump out of skin my when my stomach growls. My fear of the dark is only surpassed by my fear of heights. Usually the hubster will walk me to my stand and watch patiently at the bottom until I reach the top rung. I'm ok once I sit down, but climbing a sixteen feet seems more like 32 feet and if that sucker sways even the tiniest bit-it will take me a good thirty minutes to climb it. But not if I'm by myself out running bear, mountain lions, or the big foot of the Ozarks. No sir, I'm willing to bet I made it up in less than 10 seconds. Didn't even hesitate at the top rung. That's where the successful part ends(actually I made it down in one piece too) but I missed a doe. I got a second shot-and missed again. Third shot proved just as unlucky. So climbing down and landing in one piece was really a good thing-especially since lots of body parts were frozen.
On a side note. If you've never been in the woods on a night with a full moon, you're really missing a magical forest.

No comments: