Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Green Monster

Every one knows jealousy is an ugly green monster, but some times you can tame that green monster into something manageable.
The green monster reared it's head when I was watching my father-in-law and my grandson play with air planes in my living room. They made different air plane noises and laughed and played and they went outside for a walk. I love to watch them hold hands.
I never me either of my great -grandfathers. They were gone before I arrived. The same for my father's father. I knew one grandfather. I don't remember us every playing airplanes or holding hands. I know he drank his coffee black, but I couldn't tell you his favorite kind of ice cream or if he even liked ice cream. He didn't know of any of my tickle spots. I don't ever remember hearing him laugh or seeing him play. He must have, he was a boy once.
My grandson and his great grandfather took a walk to the air plane hanger. Xander had his first plane ride with his great grandfather aka Poppa Ralph. I was so surprised that Xander was so brave. He loved every minute of it and I'm glad my husband got their landing on video.
My grandpa flew a plane too, but I never saw it. I don't know if it was sold before I arrived or if it was just too dangerous for children and that's ok with me-I'm just excited that Poppa Ralph and Xander can share their love of planes.
After the adventure on the plane, Xander decided he needed some action on the ground and told his Poppy that it was time to ride the lawn mower. Of course, the John Deere came out of the basement and it was used unit it was lunch time.
There there was time to ride the four wheeler, eat ice cream, and play fetch with the weeny dogs.
I remembering talking to my grandpa and maybe walking around his house.
I hope one day that Xander realizes how truly lucky he is to know his grandpa and great grandpa. I hope he treasures memories with each one. Not everyone can remember back to being three years old, but there are photos and videos to help him remember.


No comments: