Thursday, May 7, 2015

A year ago

A year ago, I got off work around ten in the morning after working all night. I went home , fed the animals, and brought the mail in. I opened the sweetest Mother's Day card from my mom then I went to sleep thinking I would call her and tell her thanks when I woke up. I never got that chance. Dwight woke me up to tell me she was gone.
Just like that, in the snap of a finger, my world changed.
For the first time ever, I had to face death and it's consequences. One of the constants in my life was gone. I didn't get a chance to say good bye and I'm left with so many unanswered questions. I'll never know why she did some of the things she did and why she left...but I know that I am not alone. It took her death to wake me up and make me realize how very fortunate I am. She created a family that lives on in their love and memories. We've grown stronger, older, and a little bit wiser.
There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss her and it was on one of  the days that I couldn't shake the blues  that I ran across something by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. I've saved it to my desk top and read it more often than I'll  ever admit.

No comments: