Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What is a birthday?

 Once upon a time, a little girl once asked me-Mama, what is a birthday? And I answered that it was the day that God decided that you were ready to enter the world. It's funny how things change when you have a child. The yellow dandelions that I pulled vigorously from my flower beds became the most beautiful flowers in the world when someone with short wobbly legs brought me a handful.
Later, I would teach her how to blow the dandelion seeds into the wind and we'd watch them scatter to the wind.
Those seeds were like children-blowing in the wind-going to faraway places like Japan,California, Arizona-never knowing where they'd go-how far or where they'd settle down and take root.
Birthdays are celebrated with cakes, candles, and parties-but for me they will always be the day my life changed forever.

1 comment:

Beth said...

aww, Mama. I love you.