Monday, July 4, 2011

Red, White, and Blue

Millions of years ago, I spent my summer nights cheering on an American motors racecar. I wonder if my siblings remember those nights. Mom would fix pop corn and put it in a huge paper bag so we'd have something to snack on all night long. I don't remember getting bleacher butt or bugs biting, but I remember lots of bugs flying around the lights that lined the racetrack. I loved looking for the large green moths called "Lunar Moths"-they're still one of my favorite flying bugs. I remember the roar of the engines each time they passed and trying to find my dad's car. His number was 81 and it was red, white, and blue. I loved to see him race-it never occurred to me that he might get hurt or worse. He went faster and faster.Kicked butt and took names. Sometimes there was a battle for first and we'd scream for him to pass-it never dawned on me that he could never hear us. If someone had slipped Mom a beer-we'd hear her yell  "Pass the SOB"-without the abbreviations and he would. So very early in my childhood I associated Red, White, and Blue with winning and not giving up and to this day I can't shake it. I think America is number one. I think we kick butt and take names. Sure we go in circles and sometimes we live a little fast, but if you're not making dust you're eating it. God Bless the USA and you too.

No comments: