Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pike's Peak

I really like this picture because it's at the top and you can't tell that I had been shaking uncontrollably for an hour. My shivers weren't just due to the cold-forty-four degrees. 44 in July? Yeah, I didn't dress warm enough. There are hair pin turns for at least 16 of the 19 miles up. And there are no shoulders-you can see thousands of feet down. No use using seatbelts-if you go off-the best you can hope for is that they recover your body eventually. Dwight is still making fun of me saying that I missed half of it because my eyes were shut-I think if I saw half I was doing really good considering my sheer terror at those heights. So imagine being scared half to death and your oxygen supply cut in half-this is no exageration. Oxygen is very thin up there. So I moved a little slowly, thought even slower, but made my way to the counter to reward myself with a fudge (not chocalate) covered donut. I'm very proud of myself and the Yaris (aka "The Egg"). We made it up and down both in tact.

No comments: