Thursday, February 18, 2010

Grandmother

It's not the anniversary of her death, but when February rolls around I always think about Grandmother Bell a lot. She died in February over 20 years ago and I still have regrets. I never called her Grandmother enough.Being the oldest of all the grandkids, I coined her nickname-Mop-Mop. Never knew where that name came from but Mop-mop it was.She was a wonderful lady in her own way. She taught me to use a curling iron and bought my first set of luggage. She made beautiful cakes (I didn't say they were delicious, but they were beautiful). She was a wonderful artist. I don't remember her favorite color. I don't know if she watched TV. I never saw her read a book, but I remember her working in the kitchen. She loved for the kids to pick up pecans and she had the most awesome pecan trees I've ever seen. She told me a story about she and her sisters going out in the summer and they got too hot.So these girls slipped behind some bushes and took off their panty hose. Apparently this was really taboo because someone in town saw them and told their mother and all of the girls were in big trouble when they got home. I can't remember her voice, but I remember the way she smelled(and I've looked for this cologne to no avail)and lucky for me I'll always remember the way she felt when she hugged.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

been catching up on your posts, this was great. Even though I don't remember enough about her I can remember the small things like her apt. in England and singing in the car on the way to see her.