Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The monster in the night

When you're a child, you think the monster is under the bed. Last night it came through town. I got up shortly after midnight and could hear it howling outside. I was going to the end of the hall but it was dark, so I turned to get a light and when I got back to the door the back door blew open. Sticks and frames flew down the hallway. I heard shattering glass and Dwight grabbed me from behind. We couldn't go into the hallway and in a few short seconds it was quiet. We picked up a couple of things and he headed for the open door, I went in search of the broken glass. It didn't take long to find-the picture window in the living room was shattered. Dwight met me halfway and said one word "Dad". We went outside and I tried to get to his house but there were too many trees in the way. Shining a light towards his house and it looks as though the monster just opened his mouth and took a huge bite out of it. His dad showed up and looked ok. I could hear our son Chris muttering in the darkness. It hadn't occurred to him how lucky he is to be alive. The hardest part is waiting for day light to come and wondering what you'll find the dark hid. We got electricity back at three am. No water yet. Looking around this morning, no one knows where to start. Obviously, getting clean water is a priority. I found all of the horses this morning-huddled in a corner of the field. They are shaken, but ok. The sun is breaking and it's going to be a long day.

No comments: