Thursday, July 17, 2014

My day

Today started out with two texts from my sisters talking about missing Mom. It was strange that I got those particular texts because my day was planned to spend with my grandson-and thinking about him has been reminding me of her. I know that's strange, but one of our last meals together was a lunch with my grandson. She was laughing at me as I was spoon feeding him some ice cream. All of a sudden, a look passed between us. No words were actually spoken, but lots of things were said. I understood her pure joy at being a grandma. I knew how she could love nine grandkids with every ounce of her being. I know she wasn't perfect, but I do know that she knew how to love. Really love. I like to think she's passed that on to all of us. The orginal plan was to pick him up and return home just to finish some chores and take a nap. Screw it. We went to the park and played until he grabbed me by the hand and led me back to the car. Then we got his sausage and cheese kolache. We went shopping where he picked out the ugliest orange pants on the planet and we ate dipping dots. We took some pictures in a booth and drove home barefoot. When I dropped him off, he kissed me goodbye with no prodding and when I shut the door, he started to cry. It's probably wrong of me, but I started to smile. How many times had my kids done the same thing? Then when I started to get into my car, I found a penny on the ground. Somebody in heaven was thinking of me.

No comments: