Saturday, February 23, 2013

Marty's Party

 A few days ago, I received another call-Marty (my mother-in-law of 23 years) is not doing well. The end could be near. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to say good bye-each time unsuccessfully.
I went in to her room with Lauren and she immediately looked at me and said that she was glad to see me. She said my name and when I went to hold her hand she moved hers to hold mine-a mutual movement by both of us. She told me I was "Sweet" and went on to say that she loved my shirt. This brought a smile to my face, you see this isn't the first time she's seen me in this shirt...every time I wear it in front of her she tells me that she likes it -every time. I don't think I wore it on accident.
She said she was glad to see Lauren and then kindof faded off. Her conversation wondered from one topic to the next, but some times she was very, very clear. Yes, she wanted ice cream. She wanted strawberry and not vanilla. Of course, she wanted chocalate (doesn't everybody?). Sometimes it seemed as though she was going to sleep and then would wake up quickly and started talking again. Somewhere out there, there's a meeting for the Organization of fun-and she's supposed to be there. The meeting has been called early. She wondered if Tracey could go with her.
Then, she looked at me and very seriously said "I'm tired of all of this... I want to go home and I don't mean to the house..." at which Lauren left the room (if she didn't have hold of my hand I would have too). Then she smiled and told me there would be a big party and that I would have a good time. She hoped that everbody would. She smiled, patted my hand, and went back to sleep.
This time when I kissed her good bye, I told her that I loved her and that I wanted her to be happy. I think I saw her smile.

No comments: