Monday, July 26, 2010

Decisions

In 2007, my daughter joined the military. I couldn't do anything about it and it killed me to have her so far away from me for months at a time-South Carolina, Arizona, and then California. There were days and sometimes weeks when we couldn't commuicate. She made the decision to live her life that way and some part of me was very proud of her. The side she saw was the teary eyed old lady at the airport.
Then a year later I my son took flight. He left to become a full fledged Razorback-three hours away. He could have spent less money and stayed closer to home, but that's not what he decided to do. I couldn't make him dinner or help with his laundry but he was happy in HIS decision.
And now it's the baby's turn. I can tell her what'd I would like for her to do,but if history repeats itself, she won't listen. She'll do exactly what she wants to do just like the other two. I've spent eighteen years trying to train her to make the right decisions-the same amount of time that I spent with her siblings.
I know my kids aren't perfect-they're human and as humans they'll make some mistakes, but I'm pretty damn proud of the adults they've become. I'm proud of the decisions that each one has made that has made them into what they are today.
Somewhere a long the line, you have to let go and hope that all your efforts haven't been in vain.

No comments: