Friday, June 4, 2010

June and the start of Summer

I know a lot of people don't think that Summer starts until June 21st-and technically they're correct. But when does Summer start for you? Don't look at the calendar-remember when you didn't look and knew it was summer? Maybe it was the first jump in the river. Maybe it was the first snowcone of the year.
My summer starts with fresh fruit. When I pick berries and my hands turn color. Then comes the jelly or jam and cobbler( and the accompanying bug bites). I love the smell of the berries, the smell of everything cooking, and the taste-everything but the bites.
Then at night when you have to rest-the fireflies.Remember catching them and putting them in a glass jar to have a night light? I think I might do that this weekend. Summer also meant staying up a little later and playing more games.
When I was a kid we played the "Goodnight JohnBoy" game.
I would say good night mom, good night dad, good night Patrick, good night Robyn, good night Lee, good night Roscoe, good night Homerina
Then Patrick would start-good night mom, good night dad, good night Kathy,....Then Robyn would say her goodnights
and then after Lee was done.We'd all shout" Goodnight John Boy!" Ok. Maybe we watched a little too many Walton reruns, but the game was to finish before our parents got angry and to quit giggling long enough to go to sleep.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

That's so funny!! I was just thinking about the Johnboy game the other day.

Older not wiser said...

Can't believe you remember it-you were so young!