Monday, April 24, 2017

Families

I know not every family is perfect. I also know that most of them have a little weirdness to them-and some like ours have a lot of weirdness. Our pets are considered family. Those pets belonging to my adult offspring are considered my grand dogs. We have birthday parties for them. My sisters have traveled long distances with their animals. One nameless sister even smuggled hers into a motel. My brother is no better-he rescues squirrels giving them names or finding people that can nurse them into adult hood. My dad is at the legal limit for dogs-and has been for quite a while. So we love animals. We also love to have a good time. We joke around. My vegetarian daughter still eats at my house. Some of us are political opposites. We disagree on religion, child rearing, how to drive, whether to hunt, and the death penalty. But we love each other. Really love each other. I know if I ever need any thing I can call any one of my siblings and they will be there for me. Maybe distance will prevent them from actually physically being by my side, but they are not above finding someone else to peak in on me. I can't count the number of times I've called Robyn, Lee, or Patrick at some off the wall time to bend their ears about something. My dad and step parents too. My kids offer me emotional support too. All this and I have a kick-ass husband to boot.
I've been thinking about all this since I read a post from a very special person. Her dad has heart troubles, her hubby has just beat cancer, her daughter has some mysterious illness, her mom isn't as strong as she once was, and her one sibling isn't there for her. No one to call, No one to be at the hospital with her. No jokes or stories to cheer her up. No amazing nieces or nephews to brighten her day. My heart just breaks for her. She's one of the sweetest people to every walk the earth.
So I'll pray for her and call in a little bit and send all the best wishes I can.
Then, I'll thank God for sisters mean enough to take pictures of me hugging a toilet or going through labor. And a brother that'll call at four am to see if I'm ready to go hunting. People that laugh about Chicken Fest and snow on Easter picnics.

No comments: