Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Aunts-the Antique version

In case you're from another planet, Mother's Day is this Sunday. I've always loved this holiday just because it reminds me not to take my mother for granted.When I was growing up, people at church would wear white roses if their mother was already gone. So it's a special day-and I know we have a lot of holidays-but what about one for Aunts?
When I was growing up, My favorite Aunt was my great-great Aunt Elsie. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with her-she lived several states away. She wasn't rich in material goods, and I don't think she ever remembered my birthday.BUT I knew her voice instantly on the phone. She always wanted to hear what a child had to say-and now that I understand "fixed"incomes -I wonder how she mananged to afford all of those calls. She sent boxes of surprises for no reason at all. She wrote letters when she took a notion and even to time to send a separate note inside for the kids. I miss her voice, the stories about her (she took care of old people when she was 80), and just knowing that I might get a chance to see her.She wasn't my mom but I think about her especially in May. My condolences go out to the Schuller Family for losing one of their own special Aunts-rest in peace Zella.

No comments: