Tuesday, August 23, 2022

What I do... Mondays suck

 At work, I answer a lot of phone calls. Mostly from drivers needing something. Maybe a tire replaced in Bucksnort, TN or a radiator replaced in Wamsutter, WY.  Sometimes they are calling in to be paid for traffic delays or waiting on their meet drivers. A lot of them call this Beer Money because you don't actually have to work for it. You're just sitting there. Collecting money. One old fart calls in and sings the BEER RUN song-it goes B-double ee-double rr un-and when you hear it you know exactly what driver it is and exactly what he wants. Pops is one of a kind. Some people  don't enjoy him as much as I do and that's ok-he doesn't have the best singing voice and when you get him on the phone, you know you're going to be tied up at least ten minutes. You never know exactly what's coming out his mouth either. Once he told me he hit the jack pot with his second wife-she was a hot latina that could cook Mexican  and lasagna that would make his grandma proud. He said a wop(his word not mine) his age just couldn't live without good lasagna. I remember the first time I talked with Pops-he called in to tell me that he had pinched his hand in the dolly (the piece of equipment that joins two trailers), that it wasn't too bad, and that he didn't have time for no "gd" accident report. I told him I would get in trouble if I didn't fill one out and so he let me- a good thing too. The next driver arriving at that spot called in to ask what happened because there was blood every where. It looked like someone had been murdered. Pop had put some paper towels and a rubber band on it-later getting quite a few stiches for his little pinch.  He mentioned his race car a couple of times and would send me videos and pictures of it-he kept saying since he didn't have a daughter, I needed to come run the car in the powder puff race because his wife was too short to reach the pedals. You just never knew what was coming. He send me pictures of his grandchildren and I'd send him some of mine. Some times when you're caught up in work and daily life, it's great to hear a voice that makes you smile. Friday, I got the professional pictures of his car and he got pictures of  my garden. First thing Monday, I learned I won't be hearing him sing the BEER Run song anymore.  R. I. P. Pops. 

No comments: