Friday, May 28, 2021

More Happy Places ie the Lauren edition

 Happy Places with my little Lauren? Boy, this one is hard because I'm not trying to write a book.

The first one that comes to mind is "Beach". Lauren wasn't even six weeks old when her toes touched the waters in the Gulf of Mexico. Instead of crying when the waves touched her feet, she laughed and put her arms in the water. I believe she was three when she found her first sand dollar. Later, there was Cumberland Island, Amelia Island, Key West,  Vero Beach, Bowman's beach and the Lighthouse beach on Sanibel Island. I never asked if she had a favorite. She seemed to love them all as I did. We collected shells, watched gators and dolphins, played with starfish, walked with wild horses, swam with manatee. Admired the sun going down and coming up and we laughed. Rain didn't stop us or the laughter.

Her "spaceship". She really didn't travel out of space, but in our RV-the bed above the driver's seat. She came out to eat her lunchables and just handled everything in stride. Just like when the airlines lost our luggage and we were bound for a wedding. Everything handled in stride.

Falling Water Falls-it's a beautiful place. We've jumped a couple of times now, but I'm still afraid of heights and she still makes fun of me and lets me jump when I'm ready. It constantly reminds me-there's nothing to be afraid of if you've got the right person by your side. 

"The field" the one behind the house where we let the horses run or slowly walk and take it all in. The mountains. The smell of fresh hay. The sound of eagles. The smell of leather and the feel of a good breeze. I don't know how many times we've ridden across the field but I'm glad that it's too many times to count. The conversations we've had. The problems that Abigail, Kate, Sassy, Miss Priss, and Blaze have helped us solve. 

"The River"-Our annual float trip from Hasty to Carver. Laughing at you in the gar hole. Playing in the holes of water. Watching Ash swim so gracefully. Crossing the river on horseback even with snow at the river's edge. 

My kitchen-watching Lauren master chocolate gravy. Making poppy seed chicken. Numerous oreo balls. Coffee and more coffee. Making jam.

And I can't forget the "porch". It's where we've enjoyed coffee, tea, and other adult beverages. We've watched the sun go down and storms come. We've watched the dogs jump a five foot fence(not mine obviously). Listened to eagles and whipporwills . 

You see what I mean about a book? I could go on but I think I'll go out and maybe make some more happy places.


No comments: