Thursday, June 27, 2024

Words to Dwight

 Dwight passed away early yesterday morning and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he's gone. Grief is a strange thing. One minute I'm grateful that he's not in pain and in the next breath I'm angry that there's no more chances to fight. Don't get me wrong,  I'm incredibly proud of the fact that he fought. He fought long and hard and died with dignity still trying to take care of me. Last words I heard him say "Dad. I love you. Take care of Kate" . He had already told me that he loved me, but he was tired and it was time to go. I didn't ask where. I knew. I keep telling myself that he's with Chris, his mom, my mom, and his buddy Phillip.  Dwight, if you're watching me please make these tears stop. I didn't take the suit to the funeral home, I  brought your favorite socks and Duck Dynasty slippers. The slippers you used to chase Oscar with. A really nice pair of comfy jeans. The flannel shirt my mom gave you and the bracelet that Paige made. Dixie is going with you. I've got your quilt packed too. I  wish I could go with you, but I've got to take care of your dad and these amazing kids of ours. They're hurting. Maybe you could send a little magic my way one more time. You were my magic man and the love of my life. It was an honor to care for you and be there at the end. I wish I would have met you sooner so I could have loved you longer. 


No comments: