Monday, September 17, 2018

Birthing puppies

Dixie finally had her puppies. No amount of videos,  articles, books, or interviews prepared me. I know dogs have puppies for centuries , but they aren't mine and don't take up such a huge part of my heart. I love dogs, but Dixie is more than just a dog. She's family.  We went to the vet. Took her temperature,  and noticed she stopped eating and started panting. We rubbed her belly, took her for walks, and had numerous birthing baskets set up. She chose the laundry basket with nice, warm clean blankets and towels. She had contractions for a little more than an hour and then there he was. She opened the sac and cleaned him up and did everything she was supposed to do. The second one took longer and she wasn't breathing. We tried to get her to breathe and so did Dixie. She was cleaning and licking the puppy and we were rubbing her trying to get some kind of movement . We had to stop when another foot made an exit . This one took too long. He was much bigger than the other two and Dixie knew it was too late for him. At that point, I was terrified for Dixie. I don't know how she kept going. I was amazed at her composure.  Her knowledge of knowing what to do next. She's currently loving on her baby. She won't leave him for any reason. I don't blame her. He's pretty precious.

No comments: