Sunday, May 13, 2018

Remembering Mother's Day

First of all, Happy Mother's Day. I've been remembering Mother's Day that have long past. One year my son Paul gave me this huge fold out card. It's pretty corny, but he added his own sweet words and I take out this card and read it every year. I've been known to take it out and read it when I miss him too. Beth and Jody gave me a music box that plays "Wind beneath my wings" and when I got that box I desperately needed to hear those words. Long before that,  Lauren gave me a ring box that plays "Amazing Grace. " She was little more than a toddler and had no idea how much significance that song would play in my life. Then,  there's some of their art work from grade school. I love to see their childish signatures-some of their writing really didn't improve with time. Then, I get even deeper lost in thought and I go back to when I was a girl. We'd always go to church on Mother's Day. We went to a church that gave out roses every year on that day. It didn't matter if you were a "Mom" or not-if you were female you got a rose. Red if your mom was alive and white if she had passed on. Even as a young girl, I knew those white roses were special and gorgeous. Some time during the service, the pastor would have all the Moms stand and we would applaud. I remember shoving one of my siblings out of the way, so I could squeeze Mom's hand and looking at my red rose. It was beautiful and I loved it and I loved having her hand to squeeze. Now I'm much older. I get to wear one of those gorgeous white roses, but if truth be told, I'd much rather wear the red.
Missing her always, but especially today.

No comments: