Monday, April 14, 2014

The Magic Word

My kids grew up knowing the magic word. "Please" could get them iced sugar cookies from Community Bakery, Pizza, and snow cones. It even worked to get later bed times. Now I'm older and wiser and my views have changed. Don't get me wrong, I love well-mannered children. It gives me a thrill to listen to Hopper talk. I was washing dishes and felt someone tug on my leg. Xander was giving me the motion for up-you know outstretched arms raised as high as they would go. I told him to hang on just a minute, I had one more glass to rinse. As I was finishing the last glass, he tugged a little harder, looked straight at me, and said "Granny". Forget Please, I've waited an eternity for someone to call me Granny. I would have given him the moon, but he just wanted to be held.
His mom has her two grandmas and his dad has his. Add to that his mom's mother and his dad's mom and me-there are six of us. There's Grandma this and Grandma that, there's nana and memaw. But Granny does it for me.

No comments: