Sunday, April 13, 2014

A thousand miles



Not so long ago, I was talking to my son Paul on the phone. Out of nowhere, I realized  I missed him very, very much. So much so-there was a physical ache in my heart. Hearing his voice no longer filled the gap, and I asked him to meet me for breakfast when he got off work.  He agreed and we had a lovely breakfast together. His smile still makes me smile. What is it with him? I can't look at his smiling face and not smile myself. His laughter rings deep and true. His deep voice is as nice in person as it is on the phone, but somewhere in the back of my mind I can still hear his little boy voice. I miss my little boy, but I love the man he has become. Even after working a twelve hour shift, he still looks good and healthy and happy. We were joking around and he asked me when I was supposed to meet my sister. I told him that I didn't know, she was unaware I was in town, and I hadn't called her just yet. He was still laughing and asked me "Mom, did you just drive 3 hours to eat breakfast with me?" And we both had a good laugh. He knew the answer. I didn't tell him, I'd probably drive a thousand miles to know that he's alright, to feel his strong arms wrap me in a hug, and to have him endure a kiss from his mother in public. It's so nice that he doesn't wipe it off anymore.

No comments: