Thursday, March 24, 2011

"on Star"

When I told my hubby about what I do at my job,he said that I'm "onstar" for the drivers and when I think about it-he's right. Need a tow out of the ice in Kalamazoo, Michigan-I'll find the tow truck. Need a repair on a blown turbo engine in Bucksnort, Tennessee-I'm on it. Headlights out in Lake Havasu, New Mexico-I'm you're man, but I also get to answer the accident line. We counted ten deer strikes in one night. Add that to the wild hogs running the roads and you'd think armageddon was near. And everyone once in a while you get a call that sticks with you.
I answered and the driver was shook up pretty bad so I talked to the officer on the scene. The words-drunk driver-nothing could be done-brought back so many memories I almost expected him to say she's gone.
But no little girl was killed in this accident-no driver either. He was upset that his perfect safety record was gone.
The other driver? I honestly have no idea.And I've been praying a lot about this-because I don't want him out on the road again. I don't want him dead, but I don't want him driving again either. I think about my kids driving to Little Rock on winding roads. I think about Beth going home late at night. I think about my sister with her two innocent babies, and my neice and nephew that'll soon be getting their learner's permits. If a professional driver with 20 years experience can't avoid a drunk driver-what about the rest of us?

No comments: