Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Tuesday that turned into a Monday

I shoulda known something was up when I awoke at three and started to fix Dwight a hot breakfast only to discover my clock is totally screwed and it was really just two am. Good thing I didn't wake him-he would not have been amused. Temperature a chilly 20 degrees.
Then I couldn't really go back into deep slumber because my stomach was in knots just thinking about going down the hill to Jasper on black ice. Got a text warning me about black ice sometime before 5. Temperature has dropped to 18 degrees.I don't know which was worse me thinking about driving on ice or me thinking about Lauren driving on ice-I decided it would be better if I took her so one of us could go for help if the situation arose. Sometime around seven my stepson informed me he was taking Lauren to work (yea-Love the kid).
So off the kids went to town and the temperature dropped to 16. The horses seem immune to the cold and wanted their grain. Immediately. And it started snowing again. I throw on some really warm, thick sweats and head out to feed the chickens and impatient horses. This usually only takes ten minutes so I didn't think about grabbing any gloves(big mistake). I throw some feed to the chickens and they look at me like I'm nuts-they aren't coming outside for anything. Then, I grab the two buckets of feed-lucky me I notice the step to the tack room is iced so I avoid it and start down the hill. This is where I fall the first time, but I don't spill any grain and the horses are not amused at my lack of progress down the hill. So I get going again and slide two or three times before I get down. I'm almost to the first feeding bucket and wham I fall the second time. This time-I do spill a little bit of grain and the horses look at me like-hurry before you spill any more. I slide to the other buckets and everybody gets fed and I start up the hill. By this time, my hands are completely numb and I'm really wet from frolicking in the snow on my butt. Then I fall going up the hill. I might have caught myself if my damn hands weren't numb, but who in the hell falls going up a hill? I think I heard the horses snicker.
I'm going back to bed with a good book.

No comments: