Friday, January 28, 2011

My Corporate World

As you may have deducted from my lack of posts, I have a job. It's working for Fedex Freight at the Corporate Office in Harrison. We employ a little more than 1400 people. Yea, I know Harrison doesn't have that many people but the people come from all over-Bergman, Marshall, Pyatt, and other parts of Newton and Boone county. This is the headquarters. The main place. Where it all happens. The building itself is really nice-and the people aim to keep it that way. I work a ten hour shift and see the housekeepers at least three times a day. I think the lady cleaning the restroom waits for someone to leave so she can go sanitize it again. The lights are controled by sensors-they come on when someone walks into the room. You wave your hands in front of the paper towel dispenser and your towel appears. The doors have lips to open them so you don't have to touch where someone else has touched.The breakrooms are fitted with ice machines that disperse the good ice-the soft, crunchy kind like you get at Sonic. They furnish the cups too-not just any plastic cups, but biodegradable plastic cups-you can't leave them full of water over night because they'll disentergrate. These people are serious about being kind to the enviroment-everyone saves their cans or gives them to someone who does. The coffee machine will let you use your own cup (to reduce the use of paper cups). I forgot to bring my own cup to the machine and figured what the hell-and got coffee in a paper cup. I was told "Not cool Newbie". The guy was smiling when he said it but I think he was serious-later the person sitting next to me went through my trash to make sure that I had put all of the paper to be recycled into the correct trash can. Did I mention some of these people transferred from Arizona and California? Tree Huggers with a capital "T", but they seem to be a nice bunch.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

That's awesome!! So who's feeding the chickens now?

Older not wiser said...

I still feed the girls-can't trust Dwight or Lauren not to feed them onions-and I really don't want eggs that taste like onions-can you imagine using one of those in a cake?