Thursday, February 1, 2018

Turkeys Versus Eagles

Did you know at one time Benjamin Franklin wanted our national bird to be the turkey instead of the eagle? His reasoning? Eagles will swoop in and steal fish from other animals while the upstanding turkey acquires all of his food by himself and turkeys are really, really smart. They're pretty and protective ( I know this first hand being chased from a nest by Mr. Tom). Their skill isn't in flying. They can fly, but for short distances and certainly not for very long.
But eagles?
I don't think there's anything quite like seeing an eagle soar. It's like the wind caters to the eagle's whims. They're beautiful, powerful birds. A fierce foe. Most Native American tribes believe the eagle is a medicine bird with magical powers.
I bet you wonder where all this is coming from. After all, it's not Thanksgiving. No turkey dinners are planned that I know of and America's birthday is almost a month a way. Would it surprise you that the Eagle reminds me of the armed forces? One special person in the armed service is really getting ready to spread his wings and fly. My nephew Connor leaves for Japan for an assignment with the U.S. Marines.
My heart goes out to his momma. I know that they have an intensely close relationship. They always will. She'll miss him more just knowing he's half way around the world.
But sister, when our kids leave the nest, they aren't turkeys. They don't just hop short distances away. They soar wherever their destiny takes them. They're fierce. Magical. Beautiful and strong. I'm proud you gave him wings and roots too.

No comments: