Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Daffodils

I talked to Mom the other day and she happened to mention that the daffodils were up and blooming. I didn't have to ask where because for years she and I had planted some between our driveways along the road. It's a beautiful sea of yellow from her driveway to what used to be my driveway. Part of me still wishes that I could be there to see it and that it was still my driveway, but I have to smile too. I've left something beautiful behind-something that someone else will enjoy for years to come. I wonder if some little girl with brown hair will stop and pick some for her mom or grandma. I sure hope so. I've picked daffodils for years and my kids have too. There's nothing like getting your own bouquet of handpicked flowers. I remember vases of yellow everywhere-the kitchen, every bedroom, the mantel by the fireplace, and even the bathrooms. These pretty yellow flowers pop up at the very beginning of spring as if to say "hang on Spring's almost here" and by the time the flowers wilt. Spring really is here. So, they've always meant something special to me because I know something beautiful is just around the corner. One year it was my daughter. And, yes, I've planted some by the driveway again.

1 comment:

Bubbles said...

We should plant some at Dwights and Ralph's