Monday, July 28, 2014

Bound to happen. Last night it did.

Sounds like a country song, "bound to happen, one night it did". We got that dreaded text. Bike down. In hospital in Harrison. Can you come sit with us til family arrives? After cancelling dinner plans with an understanding daughter and her boyfriend, we headed to the hospital. This same understanding daughter not only cooked dinner, but left dinner for Dwight and I to find after coming home from the hospital-giving us one more reason to love her. Our friends are alive and will have no visible scars. He had four broke ribs and a punctured lung. She had four broke ribs, a broken collar bone, a broken toe, and a partially collapsed lung. They were wearing helmets. I've always been amazed at the number of people that don't wear them. For us, it's just no question. Dwight simply doesn't start the bike until mine is on. Dwight and my dad are some of the safest drivers I know. They've both laid a bike down. I know accidents happen and I really don't have a death wish. People have been gunned down in movie theaters and McDonald's. They've been killed in Walmart parking lots. Riding a bike (even on the back in my nice comfy seat) is a lot more enjoyable than McDonald's, Walmart, or even the theater.

No comments: