Monday, June 15, 2009

The Second Sunday in June

For the last 27 years, the Second Sunday in June has brought the Bell Family Reunion. I warned the boyfriend that no one over the age of 13 in our family can carry a tune in a bucket so the church service wasn't a complete shock. The service was in the church founded by Grandma and Grandpa Bell in 1905. Grandma went to Pine Bluff to finish high school at the age of sixteen and came back to teach in Rison in the same little church. Some of her students were older than her. My dad teaches too so maybe my dream to teach is genetic.
But some things never change...there's a fox den under the church. The outhouse still stands-the Sears and Roebuck catalog from 1993 is still there. The only real tea is sweet tea and the only meat to eat on Sunday afternoon is fried chicken. My brother has dubbed the reunion "Chickenfest".

2 comments:

Robyn said...

was it hotter than hell like usual?

Stinkydog said...

I haven't been to the reunion since I was 15.That's horrible, I know.

Did you say hi to Aunt C?

(hahahahaha--I'm sorry, Robyn told me)