Monday, January 26, 2009

Amazing Grace on Bagpipes

Early this morning, I took my baby to school. I knew this week would be hard for her, and I wasn't surprised when tears started. She lost a very dear friend a year ago. I hugged her as hard as I could and tried to make her feel better. Any mother can tell you-it's one thing to hurt, but to watch your baby in pain is ten times worse. I wish I could make everything better like kissing a skint knee,but it doesn't work.
This past weekend, I saw a picture of my Grandmother. She's been dead almost 26 years. It took my breath away to see that picture-I could hear her voice and smell her perfume.
So I don't think there's anything to make you stop missing someone. The radio station played a memorial to a fallen soldier on my way to work. Taps was very moving-and "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes made my eyes water uncontrollably, and I could swear I heard Kevin apologizing for cuttin' donuts in the grass on the motorcycle-that's my memory of her fallen friend-a kid that was well-mannered and fun to watch.

No comments: